Why do they call it a “Pullman” pan?

I thought you’d never ask, reader Ellie! It’s called a “Pullman” pan because here in the States these square, crustless loaves were most often associated with the legendary Pullman rail cars. Not only did the soft, perfectly shaped slices match the Pullman company’s elegant style, the stackable loaves were great for dining car kitchens where saving space was always a priority. As I mentioned in the post below, lidded pans had been around in Europe before the Pullman company was ever turned on to them. They just adopted them, and we all adopted the name.

2 thoughts on “Why do they call it a “Pullman” pan?”

  1. Oh my gosh! I guess I should have just scrolled down first. Sorry about the other comment Joe! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *